It's always a happy day when a new good book is born. Today Phil Simon's, Too Big to Ignore: The Business Case for Big Data (Wiley and SAS Business Series) hit the shelves, well, warehouse of Amazon and so is available to ship. I had the pleasure of endorsing the book and look forward to sharing with people who need to know the whys of big data, and are curious about some of the mechanics. Great book for someone looking to see how they can bring the power of big data in house -- or for those who want to see through the hype.
The table of contents is revealing
Introduction This Ain't Your Father's Data
- Better Car Insurance through Data
- Potholes and General Road Hazards
- Recruiting and Retenion
- How Big is Big? The Size of Big Data
- Why Now? Explaining the Big Data Revolution
Chapter 8 Looking Forward: The Future of Big Data
- Predicting Pregnancy
- Big Data Is Here to Stay
- Big Data Will Evolve
- Projects and Movements
- Big Data Will ONly Get Bigger...and Smarter
- The Internet of Things: The from Active to Passive Data Generation
- Big Data: No Longer a Big Luxury
- Stasis Is Not an Option
I selected those two chapters to show that this isn't a how to, but rather a why to, and what to be watching for in the future.
Take a look and let me know what you think.